mrfish

Mojave Road

It's a great drive, easily covered in three days but you could spend a week if you go slow and explore. Be careful of the dry lake at the far western end. Depending on recent rain, like now, it may not be as dry as you think all the way across. I'd highly recommend the Mojave Road Guide by Dennis Casebier. It's a great guide to the road and it's features and history.

It has been more than 10 years since I've driven it.  But there was a period of maybe 4-5 years we did an annual run.  It was a really good trip for novice 4x4s.  Any stock high clearance 4x4 could easily do the trail, unless as mentioned the dry lake/river bed, isn't dry.   The camping is great and there just aren't that many places left in the states where you can avoid pavement over 3 days of driving.   I've had friends do it in full-size Broncos/Blazers so I'd expect most XPs wouldn't have issues.   There were also some sand washes where I'd guess it is also possible to get stuck if you tried.  There are a number of places the trail crosses roads if one needs to shorten the trip to say avoid the lake.   These also offer the opportunity to explore.   Some of my best memories of the trail were exploring off the trail.

It is on my short list of tails to run after the V1 I have on order is delivered.

-Rick

X2 on Dennis Casebier's book. He has a 3 book hardcover edition that's well worth it if you can find it. Touring the sites of the former military camps along the route is much more interesting with the information Dennis has compiled including the friendships of the military officers in that area who knew they were heading to opposite sides as the Civil War approached. 

It's a route we've done several times, including in our V1, and always enjoy. Don't skip any of the short side trips Dennis describes.

Paul

X2 on Dennis Casebier's book. He has a 3 book hardcover edition that's well worth it if you can find it. Touring the sites of the former military camps along the route is much more interesting with the information Dennis has compiled including the friendships of the military officers in that area who knew they were heading to opposite sides as the Civil War approached. 

It's a route we've done several times, including in our V1, and always enjoy. Don't skip any of the short side trips Dennis describes.

Paul

Thanks. Where do you live Paul?

Let me know if you guys in So Cal would be interested in doing the Mojave Road late spring April or May. All or part of it.,I'm good either way.

I have done the trail in my Land Cruiser 80 - it's a great trip. I would love to join an XP trip if it happens. Just not sure if I will have my XP by then since it's currently in production. 

Have it on my list for 2018 with my new XP would love to travel with some other XPs.  I have owned  Dennis Casebier's book for years and have never been able to do the trip, it's time now!!!

Have it on my list for 2018 with my new XP would love to travel with some other XPs.  I have owned  Dennis Casebier's book for years and have never been able to do the trip, it's time now!!!

I thought I was the only one creating a "list" of places to go once the camper arrives!!!

:-)

This road is actually on my "list" too....

It's down a few slots from some travels northwards however....   (Canadian Rockies, Alaska).

But if you guys plan a trip, and others are invited, please post up here and we'll see how schedules look.....

Chuck

Hi Chuck, WE have Alaska and Canada on our list as well.  When do you think you'll have your XP ready?  I think we are still about a year out, production hasn't started yet.

I thought I was the only one creating a "list" of places to go once the camper arrives!!!

:-)

This road is actually on my "list" too....

It's down a few slots from some travels northwards however....   (Canadian Rockies, Alaska).

But if you guys plan a trip, and others are invited, please post up here and we'll see how schedules look.....

Chuck

yet. 

When do you think you'll have your XP ready?  I think we are still about a year out, production hasn't started yet.

I don't know how long it actually takes them to build one....

It's late February, we're hoping for an April delivery, and we haven't committed to our final build specs (options) yet......

Chuck

Canada and Alaska summer 2017 for us.

Not trying to hijack this thread......

We've got about four weeks available this summer, so it's the Canadian Rockies (Banff, Ice Fields Parkway, Jasper) and then over to Vancouver Island.

Summer of 2018 is Alaska, currently budgeted for eight weeks.

How much time are you allowing for your Canada/Alaska trip?  What months are you going???

Chuck