drodio

Will an XP fit into a shipping container?

My F250 has a 4" lift and it's riding on 35" tires.  I'm wondering if an XP on this truck would fit into a standard shipping container.  Anyone have any idea?

tonka2.jpg

Here's another picture, in case that helps:

tonka1.jpg

What is a "high cube" container?  How does it compare to a normal container in terms of cost?  (I.e., "10% more" etc).

What did it cost to send the XP to AUS from USA?  I'd love to get a handle on costs.

Yes, we just send an F 250 XP to Australia with a 4" lift.

It needs to be in a high cube container though.

I think it would have to be a high cube 40 foot container. I am guessing about $4000 to Aus. each way depending on departure and destination locations. My advice is do not ship to Syndey, Brisbane would be my choice. 

Since you don't drive the vehicle in nor out of the container, I would also consider RORO.

I agree. The big selling feature for a container (for me) was security. However you are not allowed to load or unload the container yourself (in Sydney anyway) so how secure is that?

When I picked up my truck in Sydney it was sitting outside with the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition!

If the timing works out and we're able to take 6 months off to tour South America, we'll be shipping our camper in a container because of the peace of mind.

The disadvantage of RO/RO is you have to take everything out of the cab and I'm betting the requirement to take everything out of the camper is an enforceable judgment call by the shipper.

That's a lot of miscellaneous stuff to schlep around through airports and hotels.

I agree. The big selling feature for a container (for me) was security. However you are not allowed to load or unload the container yourself (in Sydney anyway) so how secure is that?

When I picked up my truck in Sydney it was sitting outside with the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition!

Interesting insight, thanks Outbackamper. Maybe I need to do some more research on RO/RO to find a more customer-focused (premium) carrier. I've read that some companies allow you to ride along in normal guest quarters. That would be ideal.

I know this thread is about shipping containers, but the real issue, for me, regarding shipping is not the shipping method, but it is the Carnet. A new(ish) truck and XPCamper is going to be worth $100k+ . That means that in order to get a Carnet you will need a cash deposit of about $100,000 or an irrevocable letter of credit for that amount. For some this is no big deal, but if you are travelling on a budget it can potentially be a real deal breaker. 

Here are some pics of the XP in a container.

As mentioned, the owner was not allowed to pack nor unpack the camper. These pics came from the customs agent is AUS.

This also showes us that there were no nessessary precautions taken, as the truck/camper combo fit in easily.

The container.

post-4-0-41755300-1358095867_thumb.jpg

In the container.

post-4-0-01947900-1358095921_thumb.jpg

Still in the container. Yes, it is a tight fit

post-4-0-40334000-1358095968_thumb.jpg

Out of the container

post-4-0-70976100-1358096015_thumb.jpg

Put tyres pressure down to the max possible for driving in and out of the container and you can be lower an inch or two....  ;)

Even aired down completely I still think you would need a Hi Cube for an XPC. I know of some travellers who have removed their wheels and bolted on much smaller round steel disks in order to get their rig to fit in a container.

All RORO shippers state that you shouldn’t have any personal stuff in the camper, but everyone does and there really isn’t a problem. I am not saying to go ahead and do it, but everyone I spoke to does it and most dock handlers just look the other way.

The beauty about the XP is the roof comes down and they don’t have access to the inside of the camper unless you leave the dongle and door keys with them. They don’t need it to drive the camper on or off the ship so I kept mine.

When we shipped to Africa, all that the shipper was really worried about was the external measurements and just to play it safe I showed them that all the accessible outside bins were unlocked and empty. The camper itself was filled to overflowing with all the stuff we needed for our extended stay in Africa. On the other side they were so excited to see the roof go up that the didn’t give a hoot about what was inside the camper. Just don’t have any contraband as you are sure to get caught.

Coming back was exactly the same, signed a document that said I read the rules about storing stuff, dropped off the camper and flew home. On this end it was even easier, customs didn’t even look at the truck/camper and just stamped our docs and we were on our way! We needed to get the carnet stamped but he wasn’t going to do that as it meant he had to go outside and actually look at the camper. We just had the carnet notarized at the Bank for free.

According to the XP Camper website the XP has a height of 104". (Does this include solar panel, vent and escape hatch?) The entry door height of a high cube container is 101" or maybe 102", depending on where one looks. Now I do understand that suspension setup, tire size and airing down can make a difference. If containerability is important to me, do I have to choose a lower suspension set up than what I want, air down and maybe even take off vent/escape hatch to squeeze in?

Who has experience with XP-transport in high cubes? What works? Where's the limit?

post-1575-0-03975500-1392075729_thumb.jpg

I have the same question as Thomas (post #15).  XP has a height of 105" according to Marc.  The entry door height of a high cube container is 102".   So an XP won't fit in a high cube container.  I'd do RORO instead but the shipping agent is telling me we will need to take everything out of it before we do that which won't work since we're bringing 2 bikes and lots of gear to South America with us.  What are we missing?