#1 joe

joe

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

XPCamper for me!

I was at Marc’s shop the other day checking on my truck that he is working on, separation anxiety, and every time I leave his shop I walk away even more impressed with his operation. His vision and attention to detail on his truck and camper builds is impressive.  

About two years ago I started my search for my off trail camping rig. The overriding need for my camping rig was that it had to traverse off road trails/roads, forest service and Bureau Land Management roads.  I wanted a pop-up verses full sided cab-over camper for wind resistance (freeway driving) and top heaviness (trail driving). I looked into the conventional cab over pop-up slide in camper. The cab overs didn’t have enough interior space, were too cramped for me and my wife’s needs. My past experience with wood or aluminum framing/skins is that they loosen and deteriorate which need to be replaced or repaired every 10 years or so due to vibrations, weather and water intrusion.  I found a company that made a flatbed version to the above but it too was made out of wood.  I researched Earthroamer style campers and even though they had more accommodating living areas they are one dimensional and are only good for camping. I wanted more versatility in my camping rig. I need a truck to haul building materials plus I like to just take day trips for fishing or trail roaming thus I don’t need a camper (more weight) for these type of excursions.

I came across the XPCamper web site about a year ago and it was exactly what I wanted in a versatile 4wd trail rig and self-contained off road camper. I did very extensive internet research of the camper and the company.  The price for the XPCamper is nothing to sneeze at so I wanted to make sure the company was solid. I contacted and spoke to current XPCamper owners for their input and all were positive and praised Marc and his company.  I contacted Marc and arranged a tour of his facility and looked over his build he was working on at the time. I spent about two hours going over specifics of the camper and flatbed conversion. Marc was very generous with his time and was very straight forward with his answers and comments.  I was very impressed with his product, quality, ergonomics, durability and the thoughtfulness in the components used and how they were laid out. (Single fuel source for vehicle and camper.)  The XP is like a cabin to a yacht but for land.  Marc had obviously spent considerable time in planning and laying out the interior of the camper, storage areas and all of the appliances and hardware used.  He is constantly reviewing new and different applications that could be added to both the camper and flatbed keeping his products innovative, user friendly and self-sufficient enough to allow me to be away from the world for extended amount of time. J

Even if I had the money in the bank to buy the more luxurious Earthroamer I’d still put my money on the XPCamper, hands down!

#2 DROdio

DROdio

Forum Master

• XP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

+1 on all of that, Joe!!! I can't wait to get one too.  Just have to find the right truck first... :)

Entrepreneur & lifehacker in San Francisco, CA
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually nicknamed "Panda" ... XP V1 on order! • someday world traveler

#3 joe

joe

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:04 AM

I've been following your post on the vehicle thread. Have you decided what typ of truck? I've owned both Ford ( 02 F350 7.3 diesel) and Dodge (06 3500 5.9 24v). I prefer the Dodge.  

#4 DROdio

DROdio

Forum Master

• XP Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

Yeah the Dodge is Marc's recommendation.  I've been looking for an 05-07 Dodge Dually 3500 5.9 ... let me know if you come across anything!

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually nicknamed "Panda" ... XP V1 on order! • someday world traveler

#5 joe

joe

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

Cypress Auto in Auburn Ca. specializes in used dodge diesels, (Thats were I bought my 06 dodge) check out their web site. I understand that the rear axel on dually has a higher wieght allowance than a SRW but the capacity of the 3500 is more than enought for XP and dirt bike plus you wouldn't have the extra cost of converting the dually to a super SRW.

#6 mike

mike

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

I've had my XPC for over a year now and I still haven't gotten use to how nice it is. Being in SoCal I'm pretty much a days drive from every where. Once I get to my destination and set up camp it's just so nice and well worth the drive. Hope to see you on the road sometime Joe.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• Zion.jpg

#7 DROdio

DROdio

Forum Master

• XP Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Cypress Auto in Auburn Ca. specializes in used dodge diesels, (Thats were I bought my 06 dodge) check out their web site. I understand that the rear axel on dually has a higher wieght allowance than a SRW but the capacity of the 3500 is more than enought for XP and dirt bike plus you wouldn't have the extra cost of converting the dually to a super SRW.

Joe, I was looking them up but they have some terrible reviews.  Any idea if these are legit or not?

Screen%20Shot%202013-10-20%20at%207.46.0

#8 joe

joe

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

I had a decent experience, but I have learned “buyer has to beware” from prior experience. I also found the negative ratings along with others that were positive. More inclined to discount the positive comments as “seeded” and the negative with a little more weight. Thought I would check them out anyway and was surprised on their selection.

I found two that fit my specifications and settled on the one I own now. On mine I negotiated to have a mechanic (Imler Diesel) check it out and found some minor issues (tail gate latch didn’t work, drivers seat back adjustment leaver did not work and tyranny warning light came on intermittently.) Got an estimate from my mechanic on cost for repairs and negotiated the price. Most of the little stuff I wasn’t too concerned with because I knew I would be replacing those parts in my upgrades. I went in being very skeptical and on guard. There was some back and forth on price adjustment and nick picking on my part J but in the end I was happy with the deal I got and the truck. It worked out well for me. With that being said, they are a used truck lot.

#9 DROdio

DROdio

Forum Master

• XP Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

Joe, I've been wrestling with the SRW vs. Dually issue for almost a year now!!!  You got me thinking about it again over here with your SRW comment: http://forum.xpcampe...is-truck/?p=672

#10 Florida

Florida

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:52 PM

I've had a unique opportunity to spend quality time in the XP shop pretty much alone. No questions and answers. No guide. If I had any doubts (I didn't) about the XP this would have eliminated them.
I've been "wowed" by other campers in the past. The finished products can be awe inspiring. But here at XP I've seen the product without the finish. Here Ive seen the guts before the skin was put on. This is true quality of material and workmanship.i feel very lucky to be able to have my truck on the line-up to become one of these campers.
I realize that I am preaching to the choir on this forum. But if anyone has any doubt about the quality of these campers, just make the trip to XP in Grass Valley like you were going to Mecca itself. You will not regret it.

#11 MontanaXP

MontanaXP

Just made first posts!

• XP Owner V1
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

Hi, Sandy and Irv here (aka: MontanaXP). We just ordered a V1 (is it done yet?). We're transitioning from BMW Adventure bikes and want to stay light and nimble. The ground is harder as we get older; camp set up isn't as fun; it's damp and wet because you can't make a fire; leaving a camp for a long hike, with a thousand expensive little pieces of super light weight camp gear, and the list could go on and on.......(ok dammit!! we're justifying to ourselves, why we want the V1)..... It's a search for everything you dream of wanting to do, without the hassle of having to make a plan of when and how much. Don't ever worry about pay back in your life adventures. If you want it, you'll always find a way to justify/pay for it. Blah...blah....blah....where else you going to find a camper like this? BTW is ours done yet?

This is why we chose XPCamper........The End

Some folks refer to badges, what are badges?

#12 glideking

glideking

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 65 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

Welcome! We want to know more. Did you visit XP? What truck have you chosen?

Kurt

#13 MontanaXP

MontanaXP

Just made first posts!

• XP Owner V1
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:51 PM

Thanks Kurt! Went to Grass Valley just before Thanksgiving, we just had to confirm what we already knew was going to happen. It didn't take long to settle on the V1, We wanted a dual purpose rig, hard sided popup camper, off road durable, self contained for long periods and no propane tanks, plus a few other things.....That pretty much narrowed the field to XP, plus they're really cool looking.
Truck - 2015 F350 Lariet crew cab, long box.

#14 glideking

glideking

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 65 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

Excellent! They like to do the conversion to new trucks once in a while. They are so clean. 

#15 mrfish

mrfish

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Owner V1
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:48 PM

After two trips to Grass Valley and a lot of procrastinating I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an XP 1. I started looking for a truck preferably 2006 Ram because of the Cummins diesel but I hate dealing with used truck/car dealers and most of the Rams were either high mileage or in Utah and I'm in Calif. So I used truecar and got a deal on a 2015 Ram Tradesman 4X4 short bed for about $ 4,000 more than the 2006's I was seeing online with 80,000 miles on them. Marc was impressed.
I have owned a Sportsmobile Sprinter for 6 years. It's 2X4 but I've taken it into some pretty gnarly roads in nor Cal, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah. You get the picture. I added another water tank, air bags, transmission cooler just trying to make it capable of mini expeditions. It worked pretty well but one look inside the XP and I was sold. The Sprinter was getting 22 mpg. Not sure what the Ram will get but it's apples and oranges. No comparison.
Sprinter for sale
415 310-3742
  • adventurebuddies likes this

#16 mrfish

mrfish

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Owner V1
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:17 PM

After two trips to Grass Valley and a lot of procrastinating I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an XP 1. I started looking for a truck preferably 2006 Ram because of the Cummins diesel but I hate dealing with used truck/car dealers and most of the Rams were either high mileage or in Utah and I'm in Calif. So I used truecar and got a deal on a 2015 Ram Tradesman 4X4 short bed for about $ 4,000 more than the 2006's I was seeing online with 80,000 miles on them. Marc was impressed.
I have owned a Sportsmobile Sprinter for 6 years. It's 2X4 but I've taken it into some pretty gnarly roads in nor Cal, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah. You get the picture. I added another water tank, air bags, transmission cooler just trying to make it capable of mini expeditions. It worked pretty well but one look inside the XP and I was sold. The Sprinter was getting 22 mpg. Not sure what the Ram will get but it's apples and oranges. No comparison.
Sprinter for sale
415 310-3742

After 2000 miles I'm averaging 14.6 mpg

#17 mrfish

mrfish

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Owner V1
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:18 PM

Sprinter for sale
415 310-3742

Sold the Sprinter ro a nice couple from Bend Or.

#18 glideking

glideking

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 65 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:52 PM

Welcome to the club. Wow you sold the sprinter after only one minute!

Kurt

#19 mrfish

mrfish

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Owner V1
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

Welcome to the club. Wow you sold the sprinter after only one minute!
Kurt

Yeah that was pretty quick huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users