35 replies to this topic

#1 RoamingRobertsons

RoamingRobertsons

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMojave Desert

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Our XP will start off as a weekend trail/get away rig and eventually a full time retirement vehicle. As such, we'd like to take along two mountain bikes that would need secure storage. Have you put a rack on the back of one of your rigs? Or are there any storage bins that could accommodate such large cargo?

Check out and subscribe to our blog at http://www.maybelost.net.

#2 MarcXPCamper

MarcXPCamper

Forum Master

• XP Moderator
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Our XP will start off as a weekend trail/get away rig and eventually a full time retirement vehicle. As such, we'd like to take along two mountain bikes that would need secure storage. Have you put a rack on the back of one of your rigs? Or are there any storage bins that could accommodate such large cargo?

A bike rack can be added to the rear receiver hitch.

We are developing a rear tire carrier, which also would accommodate a bike rack.

#3 TommyGunns

TommyGunns

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPriddis, Alberta

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Roaming Robertsons, my wife and I recently completed a close to 25,000 mile loop of North America with two mountain bike hanging off the back of our camper. Personally, if I were to bring bike again on a trip like that, I would contain them in some sort of lockable sealed box and these are the reasons why: 1) Our bikes were very nearly stolen in Montreal Canada, they cut 3/4 through the integrated cable lock. The reality is, you're going to leave your vehicle from time to time whether it's a trail head parking lot when you go hiking, when you're shopping, or whatever. If a thief can't see your bikes they're less likely to try to steal them. 2) The back of your camper is the dirtiest place you can store something! Every gravel or dirt road will produce swirling clouds of dust that will coat your bikes drivetrain with a layer of dirty film. You'll need to clean it frequently or suffer excelerated wear on your chain and sprockets. 3) Your bikes will quickly get ruined. Every time it rains your bikes will get wet and eventually some part will begin to rust. Travel roads that have been salted and you can expect corrosion almost immediately. My $3000 mountain bike was nearly worthless by the end of the my trip. I spent over $700 in repairs just to make it rideable, but it's still not working properly. There are some enclose fiberglass bike carriers on the market or you could have one fabricated out of aluminum. Hope this helps.

#4 MarcXPCamper

MarcXPCamper

Forum Master

• XP Moderator
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Roaming Robertsons, my wife and I recently completed a close to 25,000 mile loop of North America with two mountain bike hanging off the back of our camper. Personally, if I were to bring bike again on a trip like that, I would contain them in some sort of lockable sealed box and these are the reasons why: 1) Our bikes were very nearly stolen in Montreal Canada, they cut 3/4 through the integrated cable lock. The reality is, you're going to leave your vehicle from time to time whether it's a trail head parking lot when you go hiking, when you're shopping, or whatever. If a thief can't see your bikes they're less likely to try to steal them. 2) The back of your camper is the dirtiest place you can store something! Every gravel or dirt road will produce swirling clouds of dust that will coat your bikes drivetrain with a layer of dirty film. You'll need to clean it frequently or suffer excelerated wear on your chain and sprockets. 3) Your bikes will quickly get ruined. Every time it rains your bikes will get wet and eventually some part will begin to rust. Travel roads that have been salted and you can expect corrosion almost immediately. My $3000 mountain bike was nearly worthless by the end of the my trip. I spent over $700 in repairs just to make it rideable, but it's still not working properly. There are some enclose fiberglass bike carriers on the market or you could have one fabricated out of aluminum. Hope this helps.

Great Info., Thanks!!

I figured one can use a cover to protect the bikes.

In order to make a box, that would be a pretty big one.

Depending on the vehicle, we could incorporate a "garage" between the cab and camper.

#5 DROdio

DROdio

Forum Master

• XP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hmmm Marc now you have me thinking about at motorcycle "garage" between cab & camper!

Here's the moto I'll be taking on the road with me:

Screen%20Shot%202013-03-01%20at%201.08.5

I suppose the handlebars would make it too wide... it'd have to be like 3 feet wide.  And it would be hard to load / unload.  But it sure is an interesting thought!

I guess hanging it off the back will be better, eh?

Entrepreneur & lifehacker in San Francisco, CA
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually nicknamed "Panda" ... XP V1 on order! • someday world traveler

#6 MarcXPCamper

MarcXPCamper

Forum Master

• XP Moderator
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Hmmm Marc now you have me thinking about at motorcycle "garage" between cab & camper!

Here's the moto I'll be taking on the road with me:

Screen%20Shot%202013-03-01%20at%201.08.5

I suppose the handlebars would make it too wide... it'd have to be like 3 feet wide.  And it would be hard to load / unload.  But it sure is an interesting thought!

I guess hanging it off the back will be better, eh?

I think this bike needs go into MY garage :lol:

#7 ketasissi

ketasissi

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationon our way to Argentina

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

http://www.montaguebikes.com/How about a folding bike? We just ordered the paratrooper pro and it stores on the back seats of our dodge 3500 longbed pickup truck 

#8 RoamingRobertsons

RoamingRobertsons

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMojave Desert

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

http://www.montaguebikes.com/How about a folding bike? We just ordered the paratrooper pro and it stores on the back seats of our dodge 3500 longbed pickup truck 

That's an interesting I haven't seen before. I've only seen little bitty bikes with tiny wheels that fold up.

#9 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:22 AM

There is a company that modifies motorcycles for carrying aboard airplanes.  A key feature of their design is foldable handlebars to reduce the width of the bike (photo half way down the page).

This could reduce the needed width for XP Camper storage.

http://www.motorcycl...motorcycles.php

A close up photo of the handlebars:  http://www.motorcycl...y/IMG_5546L.jpg

Does anyone know the dimensions of the Aluminum Garage now an option for the aluminum flatbed?

I'd like to carry a Mokai ES-kape motorized kayak with me.  It's disassembled (stored) dimensions are 78"L x 36"H x 19"W.

http://www.mokai.com/news/

Would this fit in the space between the cab and the camper now used by the optional aluminum garage?

#10 Outbackamper

Outbackamper

Forum Expert

• XP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

There's an aluminum garage option ??? :blink:??? 

#11 busker

busker

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

http://www.letsgoaer...iers_s/1820.htm

I'm not a huge fan of these,  but they do work well,   I've contacted a few of the truck box manufactures and they will make any custom size alu enclosure you'd like.  

#12 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:08 AM

In the options list, Marc describes it as an aluminum garage. 

It's also been called the flatbed storage box in posts here (in between the back of the truck cab and the front of the camper).

The one I saw a picture of was half the width of the bed, the other half was a spare tire, but Marc commented a full width storage box was a possibility.

I'm trying to determine the amount of space there, to see if the kayak would fit in the gap (without the box if need be, or possibly with a box to lock it in).

Busker thanks for the idea, but I'll tow a boat frequently.

#13 RoamingRobertsons

RoamingRobertsons

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMojave Desert

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:49 PM

This is the primary reason why we'll be going with a high quality inflatable kayak from Advanced Elements. It'll be stored in the rear seat area with our Montague folding bikes.

#14 Outbackamper

Outbackamper

Forum Expert

• XP Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

In the options list, Marc describes it as an aluminum garage. 

It's also been called the flatbed storage box in posts here (in between the back of the truck cab and the front of the camper).

The one I saw a picture of was half the width of the bed, the other half was a spare tire, but Marc commented a full width storage box was a possibility.

I'm trying to determine the amount of space there, to see if the kayak would fit in the gap (without the box if need be, or possibly with a box to lock it in).

Busker thanks for the idea, but I'll tow a boat frequently.

OK that makes sense I thought that was just a tool box, I did not know it was called a garage. When you said "garage" I immediately pictured something like this:

2007-05-17-SD550-IMG_6852-800_zps250bec7

#15 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:53 AM

OK that makes sense I thought that was just a tool box, I did not know it was called a garage. When you said "garage" I immediately pictured something like this:

#16 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:53 AM

#17 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:04 AM

I would like to have a garage like in your photo, but it will have to wait for the V5 XP Camper:

An NPR Cantor Crew Cab, with a 7ft tall by 4ft wide garage in front, followed by a 7ft tall by 16ft long (non-pop up) camper body.

(joking)

But in the mean time, I'd like to know how much space is available between the cab and camper on a V1 if I don't install a tool / storage box / garage on Marc's flatbed.

Thanks

#18 glideking

glideking

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:02 PM

Marc is working on the possibility of making my box "modular" meaning I could remove the box from the flatbed just like the camper. I could then have the camper with or without the box. My box will be full width and have no shelf or dividers.I have not tried it yet but I believe there is room for a bycicle to two in the box with pedals and handlebars turned in. Or I will get bikes that will fit. This will keep them clean and safe. 

Kurt

#19 Outbackamper

Outbackamper

Forum Expert

• XP Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:02 PM

...I'd like to know how much space is available between the cab and camper on a V1 if I don't install a tool / storage box / garage on Marc's flatbed.

Thanks

med_gallery_4_9_4187.jpg

Well extrapolating from the approximate size of the tire, and the width of the camper my guess would be 14"x38"x84" However I'm sure the 14" +/- dimension could be increased a little if you have a long wheel base truck and don't mind the flatbed being a few inches longer.

#20 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:27 AM

Thanks Outbackamper.  

I vaguely remember (and can't find) a spec that the CG for the camper was 3" ahead of the rear axle on the long bed, and it couldn't be shifted aft of that (without affecting the handling of the vehicle?)

If it can be, I like your idea of just making the flatbed a little longer. 

Thanks again

#21 Outbackamper

Outbackamper

Forum Expert

• XP Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

Would  a cab-chassis 5500 model with a longer wheelbase be feasible?

CC_Platform_84.jpg

This size is available in reg or crew cab

#22 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:03 AM

What would the gas mileage be for an F550 or Ram 5500 Crew Cab?

Does the overall length with a crew cab become an issue?  (would like the extra storage for full-timing though).

With the extra length do you start loosing the compact / highly livable, nature of the XP - that made it so attractive in the first place?

#23 Outbackamper

Outbackamper

Forum Expert

• XP Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:40 AM

I think the answer to all your questions is; YES

Some compromises are required, the question you have to answer is: Which is more important to you and the way you will use your truck and camper, short overall length or extra storage?

If you could live without the crew cab, the configuration above would offer lots of additional storage and be shorter overall than the white Dodge in post #19.

#24 Freebird

Freebird

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCentral WA & the greater Pacific NW USA

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:16 AM

An option that might work well for some users would be to keep the truck short for the advantage of the short (as possible) turning radius, plus the better high center ground clearance of the chasis. This carry space loss can be made up for with the use a (off road?) trailer when going on long trips providing room for extra stuff/toys/spares/fuel/whatever.
The trailer can be left at home for shorter trips if that fits the mission. It also can be disconnected for that rare 6 point U turn, then be re-connected. Yes, monkey messing, but with reasonable planning, very rare.
I'm thinking for my use, this is a more versatile approach than a looong wheel base rig that will always be limiting during off pavement excursions....
YMMV

That is one of the great features of this versatile camper. The haul rig can be chosen and modified for each individual's intended usage.

#25 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

Interesting idea.

Online there are a couple truck camper people who use a trailer and claim it's more useful than they first thought and not as cumbersome as they originally feared.

It's just "looks" like a major headache.

#26 DROdio

DROdio

Forum Master

• XP Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

I definitely don't want to do a trailer. Even if just because of the lowered speed limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually nicknamed "Panda" ... XP V1 on order! • someday world traveler

#27 Freebird

Freebird

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:32 PM

Worth seriously considering for some adventurers, but probably would only work well for a minority of those. I see it as adding a large element of versatility/flexibility.
The rear view cameras would make this option a more attractive, since the trailers position is able to be monitored in relation to both the truck, and any obsticals behind the trailer during backing.

#28 Freebird

Freebird

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:37 PM

Quote: I definitely don't want to do a trailer. Even if just because of the lowered speed limits.

Good point. If you live in CA (or others states with such restrictive trailer speed limits), or will be spending a fair amount of time there, that would certainly be a factor in the decision.
However, not everyone who adventures/camps/explores/travels/etc. fits in that category.

BTW: There are a lot of people who maintain a good relationship with their trailers, and appreciate their capabilities.

#29 DROdio

DROdio

Forum Master

• XP Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:49 PM

Kurt -- LOVE the idea of a modular box! Definitely let me know how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 kn195

kn195

Just made first posts!

• XP Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

i've found the best place for the bikes is behind the seats up front. yes they take space but you've so much storage capacity in the camper and the flatbed together already. in the cab with you keeps them clean, protects from theft, etc.

#31 ketasissi

ketasissi

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationon our way to Argentina

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:06 PM

Yes.We have folding bikes and chairs in the back of the cab.Removed the seats. Works well.
Sissi and Günter
Www.alaskawilds.me

#32 mrfish

mrfish

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Owner V1
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:37 PM

image.jpeg
Bike Friday folder made in Eugene Or. Can fold into a Sampsonite suitcase for airline and is pretty indestructible. My Llama has 27 speeds 20" wheels and I can keep up with any full sized bike as long as Lance Armstrong isn't riding it. It is also a great off road bike. I also have a carbon fibre belt drive Silk from Bike Friday. No chain grease.
  • PanamintSteve likes this

#33 mrfish

mrfish

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Owner V1
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:37 PM

Once I removed the rear seat out of my Ram 3500 crew cab I have enough room for two folding bikes, all the recovery gear including a hi lift jack, a dog bed, two folding Eureka chairs, the Cobb stove, a 25 lb bag of dog food and a few other things. In the rear storage I have a frameless pontoon boat with oars, anchor, flippers, pump, fish finder, pfd, etc. In one side box are, a Float tube, flippers, waders& boots, fish net.
Other side box carries propane bbq, propane bottles, wheel chocks, briquets for the Cobb. Smaller side box has tools, diesel thinner and more wheel blocks. Slide out tray in rear has Maxx Traxx,4 fly rods, battery powered pumps for diesel and DEF. 12 volt water pump. Sawyer water purifier bag, hiking sticks, saw, shovel, etc. We leave the passenger side small box for garbage storage.
As you can see. A lot can be packed into the XP

#34 mrfish

mrfish

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Owner V1
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:19 PM

I've now added an inflateable 2 person and dog kayak to the back seat storage including two piece paddles and pfd's.
Plus a sand anchor and there is still room for more.
Cindy got a Montague folding street bike which goes in along with my Bike Friday Silk. It's a big load of your mind not worring so much about theft and the elements.

#35 RoamingRobertsons

RoamingRobertsons

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMojave Desert

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:30 PM

I've now added an inflateable 2 person and dog kayak to the back seat storage including two piece paddles and pfd's.
Plus a sand anchor and there is still room for more.
Cindy got a Montague folding street bike which goes in along with my Bike Friday Silk. It's a big load of your mind not worring so much about theft and the elements.

Do you have shelves, drawers or any storage system or is everything just stacked in there?

#36 mrfish

mrfish

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Owner V1
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:12 AM

Hey Doug: No shelves. Just stacked semi clutter. Easy to get to everything except maybe the hi lift which is on the very bottom.
There's still enough room for the dog to hop over into her bed in the back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users