3 replies to this topic

#1 glideking

glideking

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 65 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

The last day of our Utah trip the steps would not come out. It would move a little and get stuck. I removed the camper to see if there was anything I could do myself.

IMG_7350.jpg

There was nothing stuck in there but I did see this gouge in the side track. A bolt had vibrated loose and was jamming into the track. I could not get the steps out to tighten the bolt. I had one last thought before taking it back to XP.

IMG_7349.jpg

I slid the steps out what little I could and drilled a hole to get the allen key in from the outside. 

IMG_7351.jpg

Now with the bolt tight I can take the steps out and add some thread locker to the bolts. Happy day! Hope this helps others.

#2 XP_Guest_Paul_*

XP_Guest_Paul_*
  • XP Guest

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:32 PM

How easy were the steps prior to that trip? Ours have always been very hard to get in or out. They have a bit of white powder on the treads when they come out that I suspect is from scraping along the under side of the fiberglass. 

And seeing your situation I'll R&R all the bolts adding thread locker as well. Thanks for the heads up.

#3 glideking

glideking

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 65 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:45 PM

My steps were sliding easily before. This was a solid 10 days of off road. I have noticed the white gel coat being sanded off by the steps anti skid tape too. Perhaps some thick smooth tape on each side of the tread will keep them from rubbing.

#4 mrfish

mrfish

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Owner V1
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

I've had my XP for over a year and have never had any problems with the stairs so far.
I slide them in about half way then pull down on the steps closest to me so they level themselves then they slide in easily. It would be nice if the whole operarion went a little more smoothly but as long as I can get in and out of the camper I'm okay with how it works.
The aircraft nuts have never budged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users