#1 jsnable

jsnable

Learning The Ropes

• XP Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:13 PM

I've been doing a few projects on my own for my 2016 Ram 3500 in preparation for receiving my XP V1 and just finished up the steps last week. So far they are very cool and certainly useful considering the height of the truck. They tuck up under the truck farther than I expected which should keep them out of the way of rocks off road. Potential downsides are that the motors are not sealed so deep water crossings are risky, and they are pricey.

I did want to pass along one tip for anybody doing this themselves (the directions claim it to be a difficulty of 4/4 but that is far from true). I had interference with the pinch welds on both steps when I first activated them, getting one of them stuck in the up position. I figured some grinding was needed and in preparation for that removed the motors so I could get the steps back off. It was much easier to see the interference while moving the steps by hand and I quickly found that bouncing up and down on the steps a few times got them to a spot with no interference. Therefore no grinding - hooray! The directions do say to step on them once installed (which I had done), but they needed more than that in my case.

Jay

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0008.jpg
  • DSC_0009.jpg

XP V1 on order; 2016 RAM 3500

#2 MarcXPCamper

MarcXPCamper

Forum Master

• XP Moderator
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:29 AM

We had the same problem. They don't fit to well unfortunate. We are now

building our own rock sliders/ steps

#3 glideking

glideking

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 66 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:15 PM

I had to disconnect my Amp steps because the installation to the trucks diagnostic port is not legal in California. It would not pass smog.

#4 jsnable

jsnable

Learning The Ropes

• XP Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:06 AM

I had to disconnect my Amp steps because the installation to the trucks diagnostic port is not legal in California. It would not pass smog.

I hope just for the smog check itself? I have a Scangauge plugged in on my diesel van and I just unplug it ahead of time. Or did it set some sort of code? That would be too bad...

Hardwiring is an option, but more of a pain of course.

Jay

XP V1 on order; 2016 RAM 3500

#5 mrfish

mrfish

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Owner V1
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:56 AM

So did you just hook it back up after the smog test?

#6 mrfish

mrfish

Been Around For A Bit

• XP Owner V1
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

I've been doing a few projects on my own for my 2016 Ram 3500 in preparation for receiving my XP V1 and just finished up the steps last week. So far they are very cool and certainly useful considering the height of the truck. They tuck up under the truck farther than I expected which should keep them out of the way of rocks off road. Potential downsides are that the motors are not sealed so deep water crossings are risky, and they are pricey.

I did want to pass along one tip for anybody doing this themselves (the directions claim it to be a difficulty of 4/4 but that is far from true). I had interference with the pinch welds on both steps when I first activated them, getting one of them stuck in the up position. I figured some grinding was needed and in preparation for that removed the motors so I could get the steps back off. It was much easier to see the interference while moving the steps by hand and I quickly found that bouncing up and down on the steps a few times got them to a spot with no interference. Therefore no grinding - hooray! The directions do say to step on them once installed (which I had done), but they needed more than that in my case.

Jay

The welds on my truck had to be ground down also.

#7 glideking

glideking

Forum Enthusiast

• XP Owner V1
  • 66 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:30 PM

Passenger side AMP step stopped working. AMP has a troubleshooting flowchart on the internet. I called them after doing the tests and they sent me a new redesigned controller no charge. All is good!

• Nomads365 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ram, steps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users